Friday, January 8, 2021

Well, That's Something to Ruminate On

This article lays out one of the clearest arguments I've seen for how support for Trump is associated with white supremacy. Honestly I've heard the charges of racism and white supremacy, and while I kind of understood them (Trump's role in the birther conspiracy, and the innocent black men wrongfully imprisoned... Was that for the attack on a jogger in a park?) some of it did seem like accusations thrown out because it allowed you to dismiss the opinions of everyone on the other side. Sort of the liberal equivalent of 'communist'.

But I already discussed how policy positions changed when people grew aware of our growing diversity (what I considered unconscious bias, as nobody I know would consciously do that), so I want to think a bit more about the other study mentioned -

The single survey item with the highest average correlation with antidemocratic sentiments is not a measure of attitudes toward Trump, but an item inviting respondents to agree that “discrimination against whites is as big a problem today as discrimination against blacks and other minorities.” Not far behind are items positing that “things have changed so much that I often feel like a stranger in my own country,” that immigrants get more than their fair share of government resources, that people on welfare often have it better than those who work for a living, that speaking English is “essential for being a true American,” and that African-Americans “need to stop using racism as an excuse.”

I disagree with pretty much every one of those statements, but I have heard them. Particularly the language one (funny how our Founding Fathers deliberately didn't make English the national language. And it wasn't uncommon for a particular town to only speak Polish or German or somesuch. I drove through a town in Indiana I think? It had a strong Swiss feel iirc. Might have been Vevay, but the map doesn't look right. Idk, I've driven through quite a bit of the rural Midwest at one point or another).

God, racism is so stupid. And makes people do evil things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment