Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Healing and Accountability

With all the people wondering 'what next', I thought this was a timely moment to bring up Rabbi Ruttenberg's Twitter thread on forgiveness.

While I am concerned about the (almost inevitable) overreaction, especially since I remember how de-baathification in Iraq worked (or failed to), those are things to consider after the following questions have been answered - 

“you, person who perpetrated harm, what are you doing to own your harm publicly, to understand why you did it and do the work (therapy, education, prayer, rehab, so many other things) to be a different person tomorrow, to make amends to the fullest extent possible, to accept the full consequences of your actions, to apologize... "

If Republicans want to move on, first I would like to see them publicly refute Trump's allegations of voter fraud and acknowledge that Biden is the President-Elect. 

There's probably other things I could list if I thought about it, but this is the absolute bare minimum. If they are not willing to do that, as a party, then I don't see how we could possibly move on,much less heal.

There's more I might write about reconciliation and healing (more from my Catholic background), but this is enough for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment