Thursday, January 7, 2021

God, People in DC are Deluded

Or in denial. Or wishful thinking.

I was trying to think about how to make my point and a) haven't yet and b) am on the phone, which is never the greatest for this.

But I still am furious about what happened yesterday. It's not, like, ready to go out and punch things anger. But, like... Idk. A core of burning fury that hasn't really died down. I still think he needs to go. Impeachment or the 25th Amendment, I don't care. He's proven over and over again a number of things. That no matter how many times he gets pressured into giving a speech that sounds 'normal', he never means it and always reneges. Sometimes the very same day.

That he repeatedly does things 'normal' people don't. Like the bold faced lying. If you expect him to act like most people, you will be disappointed (like Susan Collins thinking impeachment would chasten him).

The dude is never chastened. He might lick his wounds a bit, but then he doubles down and comes out swinging. We've had four years of this, it should be expected by now. 

But the stuff I was mulling over... 

Well.  I remember I was a young lieutenant, in charge of my very first platoon. And one of my NCOs was... Uh. Maybe kinda hazing the newbie butterbar? It's been almost twenty years, so I forgot the details. Some of it was typical goofy stuff like taking your cap if it was, left unattended. (this was before the beret) and turning your rank sideways. And like, initially it's not a big deal. I can take a joke, no harm done, sure.

Eventually I decided I needed to address it, though. And pulled him into my office to politely yet firmly tell him to knock it off. That it didn't matter that I was new, I was his platoon leader. 

And he was almost, like... Proud of me for calling him on his BS. Said a lot of junior officers never did. 

What I took from that is that some people really won't respect you until you pull them up short. 

But... Not everyone. I would even say most don't think like that. It's just that a good leader adjusts their leadership style to the people you're dealing with, and it's important to know who is which.

Like with micromanaging. Some people may be new, and/or insecure, and they'll want you to be around and easily available. Others (often the ones with more experience) may resent you if you hover too closely. It seems like you don't trust them to do their job. You're micromanaging, and if you're spending that much time watching them do their job then who is doing yours? (I might expand on what 'your job' entails. Some other time).

Anyways. Sometimes tit for tat works, and you can deescalate things by giving a little. The other side may not want a confrontation in the first place, and is happy to have an out. 

Other times? You need to stand fast and firm, be quite clear about where the line is drawn, and prove you're willing to bring the hammer of God down if they cross it. (One of my undergrad classes raised the question of whether Saddam would have invaded Kuwait if we'd sent a clear signal that we weren't okay with it).

Trump, in case you haven't been paying attention, is much more the latter. Any hint of weakness, any waffling, is a sign of encouragement. It means he can continue to get away with shit. (Would Senator Collins care to comment?)

The frustrating part of the last four years has been watching, over and over and over again, as our leadership and institutions utterly fail to do so. 

Impeachment? You all know what happened there.

As I've said before. He is angry, petty, and vindictive. He needs to be removed from office before he can do further damage. 

I know there are only a couple of weeks left in his term, but he has repeatedly shown that he won't stop unless someone makes him. And I've seen no sign of anyone honestly doing that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment