Sunday, March 1, 2020

Coronavirus

Lots of stuff going around on the coronavirus, I'm not sure how much I want to add to that. There's a lot we don't know right now. (I do recommend trying to do at least a little preparation, like stocking up on non-perishable items that might come in handy if supplies are unavailable).

I wanted to post instead about what this virus makes crystal clear - which is that the systems and structures we create have a great deal to do with what happens.

For example - when people live paycheck to paycheck, don't have paid time off, can't do their job from home, and have to worry about large out-of-pocket medical expenses (like a large quantity of employees) there are immense incentives to come to work even when sick, and to avoid going to the doctor if it's at all possible.

In other words, such a system is practically tailor made to spread a disease like the coronavirus. 

I saw talk about a similar problem on Twitter - its apparently really, really hard to stock up on your prescription medications.

I do hope things don't get too bad, of course. But as they say - "hope for the best, but plan for the worst" 

No comments:

Post a Comment