Sunday, July 9, 2017

Faith, Addendum

I wanted to add something to my last post about the LGBTIA community.

This kind of goes back to a basic question about the Bible - that is, do you take it literally or do you believe it is inspired by God but written by fallible humans?  Assuming you believe in God in the first place, of course.

My personal belief is that it was written by fallible humans.  Some of that is purely subjective, and some if it is tied to a couple of other things (i.e. it's translated from another language into English, and written thousands of years prior to now.  Which means we miss quite a bit of context, and the King James version is not necessarily an accurate translation of that context. Also - strictly accurate history is a recent phenomena.  I believe back when it was written people were looking more for a Truth, which may not actually be the truth.  You can say "God created the world" and make a story about how it was done in seven days, without necessarily feeling like it had to literally mean it was created in seven days.)

So there are Christians who honestly believe the Bible does not condemn homosexuality, and others who believe fervently that it does.  I know where I stand on that issue, though I see where others get a different idea.

I think viewing it my way leads to a richer and deeper understanding, but people differ.  The thing I wanted to point out is mainly this.

I will not presume to say how God judges us.  I might be wrong, others might be wrong, the only way we'll know for sure is if/when the time comes.  What I do believe is that when people who have been beaten, ostracized, and otherwise condemned for who they are say that they do not feel like they are being true to themselves for that, then it doesn't sound like something they've chosen lightly, or on a whim.  That maybe, most likely, probably, it is something they truly feel is who they are if they are to be true to that inner voice.  The one that pushes us to be most fully ourselves.

And if that's the case, it behooves us to listen.

I don't really understand where all the fuss is over this issue.  I don't care what shape someone's genitals are  under their clothes, or how they choose to dress.  Not unless they are trying to date me or something. 

If you think it's a sin, okay.  I get where some people think that.  So don't do it yourself.  I do think you can share your views and speak them (though some may not want to hear it)...but you do not have the right to try and force them to ignore what their inner voice is telling them.  More than that, if you consider yourself a Christian you should still treat people you consider sinners with mercy and compassion.

Overall, I find this need to refuse service (whether it's cakes or marriage licenses) less a sign of faith and more a sign that you feel free to take on God's role in judging others, along with a complete disrespect for and refusal to listen when people tell you something is essential to who they are.  It seems a far cry from Jesus hanging out with prostitutes and tax collectors.

No comments:

Post a Comment