Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Coronavirus, cont.

I have debated what more to write about coronavirus...

I hope it all blows over. 


Of course I do, I don't want people to suffer. 

But I have no confidence at all in our current leadership. 

They seem more worried about the stock market. And politics. And getting re-elected...

To bring up a religious reference (which I like doing, mostly because they misuse it so much. Not trying to proselytize to anyone, really)... They're not being good shepherds.

A good shepherd would be more concerned about, you know, people's lives, and less about preserving their own power. 

I hope it all blows over, but right now I feel I have to bite my tongue a lot. 

Like, panic seems premature... But I've been following the news on this, and we're seeing community spread, and not near enough testing, and too many people are dismissive for political reasons. The response is being bungled, and we can all see it happening in real time. 

If you choose to look. 

And that's the part that sucks. Because if it does get out of hand, it didn't have to be that way. 

There's an urge to try and scream the alarm, but as with so much of our political world today - you either already get it, or don't want to. 

Besides, maybe I'm being overly concerned. I mean, the gist of what I'm reading is that it's more about trying to slow the spread so hospitals don't get swamped than anything else. I have no idea how bad that could get, and I'm mostly more concerned about supply chain failures. 

Or rather, I don't want people to die unnecessarily and making sure hospitals aren't swamped is the best way of giving everyone the greatest chance of surviving... But most people are only going to get mildly ill, it seems, so the greatest impact on the majority will be the second and third order effects, which are always hard to predict. 

That is, problems that come from activities meant to slow that spread, like quarantines... And consequences of needing medical treatment when facilities are swamped. So supply chain disruption, effects of not having people doing certain tasks, and possible delays in medical treatment if facilities are swamped.

But Idk. I guess we'll all find out soon enough. 




No comments:

Post a Comment