Saturday, March 14, 2020

Time for Another Update

The last day (and really, week) has been surreal.

Concern about the new coranavirus, COVID-19, has grown. Last Tuesday my company declared a sitewide day of working from home, and yesterday they told us all to start working from home.

For a minimum of two weeks.

On the one hand, as the links I've posted before show, I totally get it. I'm also kind of pleased to see my company taking such proactive steps.

On the other hand, despite my analysis of the situation, it still doesn't feel real.

It's March now. The days are getting longer, and despite today's snow the weather is getting nicer. Sprint is normally such a hopeful time. A renewal, of sorts.

And yet there's this big cloud looming over everything.

Even though, so far as I can tell, only three things will prevent the worst (a vaccine, the possibility that warmer weather will slow the spread, and measures like 'social distancing', working from home, cancelling meetings, etc.) so far things are still pretty normal. Well, other than panic buying and a run on toilet paper.

The truth is, I hope I'm wrong. I hope what I expect doesn't happen, and that in a month or two we look back and laugh at our collective foolishness.

I just can't make myself believe that's what's going to happen, though. I don't see any reason why we'll somehow (magically) avoid what has happened in China, or Italy. Not with the slow and modest measures we've taken. Not with so little testing that we have no idea how widespread the problem is. Not with a good third of the population still saying "it's just the flu. You're all overreacting."

I suspect that a lot of things are going to change, soon.

I hope it's not too bad, ofc. Hope the worst fears aren't realized.

Guess I'll find out for myself soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment