Tuesday, February 23, 2021

An Aside on My Own Media Consumption

This is pretty much why I stopped getting my news from television.

First, I don't have control over what stories are reported on air, so if I have little to no interest in whatever hot story gets constant coverage, I don't get a say. (I'm sorry to hear that Tiger Woods was injured and I wish him well. That's about all I need to know on that topic, and it takes maybe five minutes to report).

Second, they will try to fill airtime on these stories even when nothing new has happened. I don't need to see y'all talking as if something big is going on when nothing new has happened in an hour and your just hanging around waiting for more.

Third, a lot of times the initial reports are wrong. I get that 'breaking news' is a thing, and all news agencies try to be first but you know what? I'm willing to wait 5min up to a day (or more, depending) to get accuracy in my news. Sometimes I deliberately don't read in depth on a topic until the story has had more time to develop.

And fourth, they all tend to initiate each other and flock to the same stuff. We really don't need five news channels covering one relatively unimportant thing, while they ignore the important ones. (yes, I know. It's probably not profitable to operate that way. This is more wishful thinking and an explanation for why I don't bother with CNN, Fox, MSNBC, OANN, or any video news sources. I might read an article they put out but that's about it. I get most of my news from links in a news aggregator site. And Twitter, but I have to be careful with that one. Twitter is often the fastest source of news, but also the least reliable.)

No comments:

Post a Comment