Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Update

Mostly been busy at work (my code worked, but there was a question about whether it was the best way of doing it, so I was working on making sure a for loop with a try/catch block would retry the exceptions I wanted to retry and throw any other exception back. I'm sure that's mostly technical gibberish to those not in tech, so I'll just add this. The issue was making sure the right error messages got sent if certain things went wrong. I think I figured it out, though am waiting for someone who actually knows Python to be free to look it over.)

I probably also ought to say something about the impeachment trial, but I'm not sure what to say. I mean, there's more details coming out and seeing it all together has an emotional impact, but I already think Trump is guilty. 

And we already know the Republican Party has lost the plot. 

Like, I'm not exactly thrilled to give Democrats completely free rein (despite Americans repeatedly splitting tickets so the branches aren't controlled by any one party, these morons just don't get it. I can't speak for everyone, but I see value in having voices ask 'does this need an entirely new government agency?', 'should this be our responsibility?', and so on. It's like taking pruning shears to the rampant growth all organizations tend towards when left unchecked. Alas, they get so caught up in 'defeating the enemy' that they start doing stupid stunts instead of actually getting their shit together and making things work. Hell, Republicans seem to have a vested interest in making sure it doesn't work. That's pretty much what they aim for with the whole insistence on cutting taxes - so they can do as Norquist says and shrink it down to the point they can drown it in a bathtub. Complete fools.)

Anyways, not thrilled... But right now the Republicans have shown that they can't be trusted anywhere near any sort of position of power. 

There may - may - be a few exceptions. A few that have publicly stood up for our Constitution and democracy, even when they were facing serious pressure. The 10 Republicans who voted to impeach Trump, the Georgia officials who refused to lie for Trump, Romney... Maybe.

A few others I may not be aware of. 

But by and large anyone who still calls themselves a Republican and isn't vocally speaking out against what Trump has done has shown that they can't be trusted. They'll put their own self interest or their party's interest over their oath of office.

So whatever. I don't know if there will be enough votes to convict, but I'm paying attention more to see what this reveals - about individual characters, about the depth of the problem, and whatever else comes to light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment