Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Untitled

I heard about this on social media (https://ruinmyweek.com/relationships/fiance-secretly-rich/) though the post I saw implied that ALL rich people were like that, and...

Idk. If that's true, it's rather pathetic. I understand that you don't get rich without being careful with how much you spend, that you can't give it away like Jesus said you should. (If you're Christian and want to get into heaven and all that), and I also understand that they would be afraid of gold diggers and people that are nice to them just to get their money.

But, like, if you actually cared about someone enough to consider marrying them, I would hope you'd care enough not to make them sell their mother's violin if there was any other option. 

I've heard before about how wealth seems to destroy people's ability to empathize. Idk, it's not like I hang out in those crowds. Still, there's some truth to the fact that people like Jeff Bezos (and others) actually have the resources to make a real difference...

And instead far too many of them seem to be outright making the world worse. 

I don't know how they can look at themselves in a mirror, tbh. Or how they can possibly be happy. Not like 'I just won monopoly' happy, but that feeling of satisfaction, contentment, and bone deep happiness.

I wish the sort of foolishness we're seeing today - the short-sightedness, arrogance, selfishness, utter destruction of rules and norms in a bid for power that destroys all the things making their outsized level of influence tolerable - didn't seem somehow inevitable.

I really hope it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment