Monday, September 21, 2020

Something to Think About

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Wyman/status/1308190919888310272?s=19

I would say I noticed something similar in the way that the debate over our involvement in Iraq seemed to have more to do with the Vietnam War 30-some years prior than any clear look at the current situation.

You can also see this with some of the hysterically awful questions members of congress ask tech CEOs. 

There's nothing wrong with being older, of course, but in this case it's yet another way that Congress doesn't actually reflect the American people. (also the number of millionaires, as well as demographics. Partly because of how much of an advantage incumbents have on winning re-election.)

Stuff like that undermines the social contract. It's a shame more politicians aren't as wise as George Washington and retire, but I think we've all learned to be a little skeptical when asking powerful people to actually give that up.

(I do think sometimes about Robert Ingersoll's quote  “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.” - or her, I'd say. Anyways, I wonder how well I and everyone I know would do in such a test. Is becoming arrogant, entitled, and looking down on everyone else inevitable? Surely not... There have always been people who use their resources wisely and well. It's just... Smh. There are so many more examples of the reverse!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment