Friday, October 4, 2019

Really Upset Right Now

Something happened this week that shook me...

I really hate saying it that way. I don't know, like it's showing weakness or something.

Let me explain what happened.

So my Little, from Big Brothers Big Sisters, generally comes to my house after school. She's then picked up by her grandmother.  Last year (while I was still a student, so generally home at the time) she got here around 3:50, and was gone by 4:10.

More or less. Sometimes her grandmother was late, or other things happened.

This year I have a job (yay!) and aren't at home. No big deal, she's old enough to handle that.

One of her classmates lives in the area, and sometimes hangs out with her.

Anyways. This week her grandmother was out of state, visiting relatives, and wasn't there to pick her up at the usual time... so my Little has basically been chilling at my place until her mom gets off work.

Tuesday I got off work and called her up, asked if she wanted dinner before I took her to her mom. We didn't have a lot of time, so I wanted it to be quick.

I get  home, and she and her friend are outside my house... and freaked out because some white SUV (or was it one of those trucks with the cover for the pick up bed? I'm not sure... I saw it, and it was definitely big and white) had been acting weird. Slowed to a crawl, turned around, slowly drove past a second time, then turned into the parking lot of a nearby business. The girls also said something about hearing them say 'grab them' or something, but I dunno. Were the windows down? I wasn't there...

Anyways. Like I said, I did see a big white SUV in the parking lot, and it sure seemed to drive off soon after they saw me looking.

Now, my Little didn't come Wed. I think they were freaked out enough that she basically stayed at the school, though I'm not entirely clear on the details. She was here yesterday, no problem.

Today, at work, she messages me. Her spelling and grammar isn't the greatest (and it's messaging, so people aren't as picky what with autocorrect fails and all that) but I'll quote it exactly:

"Their was too old people across the street ask weird questions and it was a red van idk what they were doing but i figured I would let u know"

Her grandmother is back, btw, and had already picked her up so she was no longer there. I asked her what sorts of questions, and she said "Like do I live their and if they could have my hair if they could cut and that I was beautiful"

And, even if you don't know anything, I'm sure that sounds plenty creepy to you all... but I've been through a kick or two where I read up on organized crime (terrorists get funding that way, and other reasons) and human trafficking (the book Somebody's Daughter is informative. I hate to say 'good' about such a depressing topic, but worth reading) and it sounded all too much like what human traffickers do.

Except this wasn't some black and white text, with people I've never met, in some place like Las Vegas.

This, if it's what I think it is, is right on my own damn street, in my own town, and potentially targeting vulnerable girls like my Little and her friend.

It makes me angry, tbh. Scared and angry, though I hate saying that.

I wish I could just shake them and say "what the hell are you thinking? What do you see when you look at these girls? Do you even see them as human beings? I mean, you can't possibly, otherwise how could you do what you do? How do you look and see - what? a commodity? Money? - and not see young girls who have a right to live their own lives, ones without assholes like you in it."

No comments:

Post a Comment