Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Impeachment and Social Media

I generally try not to post political stuff on Facebook (I do more of that here, tbh, where I can write long rambling things that most people don't want to read. Let's me put more nuance than you generally get elsewhere).

I don't want to be like some of my relatives, that spit out so many political memes that people start filtering them out. 

But... 

Its important, sometimes, to make it clear that you disagree. Where silence can be taken as agreement, and people don't follow politics as closely (and apparently some 40% of people get their news from FB), it's sometimes more important to speak.

And while I don't generally like Democratic leadership, I think Trump is seriously threatening to undermine the Constitution right now.

Its not about Democrat vs Republican, it's about whether Congress can use the powers given it in the Constitution to rein in an out of control executive. Will our checks and balances work? Or not?

I could probably go into greater detail on how the Executive branch has grown in power over the last century. How Trump is, in some ways, just blatantly doing what others have done... Just to a far greater degree, and with no pretense of it being anything else. (or maybe that's the cynic in me coming out. Even if there wasn't anything legally wrong, Hunter Biden getting paid a lot to do little - the way other connected people do - is yet another example of how the rich perpetuate their built in advantages, and part of why Democrats don't seem to be on the side of the 'little guy' these days) 

But...

That restraint was important. It set a limit, of sorts. They at least knew they had to at least try to make it look like it wasn't just about helping themselves. (And probably were able to convince themselves, in the process. Like the training my previous job gave on avoiding conflicts of interest, it can be hard to recognize one when you're in it.)

I don't know. I started reading Accidental Presidents, and the historical perspective is interesting. We haven't had members of Congress get into fist fights, for example. And a recent twitter thread (app update seems to be missing the ability to add the link to text, so here it is - https://twitter.com/michaelharriot/status/1186468302400507904?s=19) made me realize that there's a lot about the post civil war history that I didn't know...

So it may be an exaggeration to say that this is the most dangerous time in our history. But when the President tries telling his people to ignore congressional subpoenas, or says the Emoluments Clause is phony, and threatens to use his ability to pardon anyone who breaks the law to get what he wants done, he is showing over and over again that he has no respect at all for the Constitution.

And I don't know how anyone can claim to be 'conservative', or a patriot, and continue to support him.

Then there's the mess he made with the Kurds, and the way he hasn't met a dictator he doesn't like. 

He's doing more to undermine America than anything that the Left has done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment