Sunday, August 9, 2015

My Day Job

This week has been a little busy.  We had a Physical Inventory for my area...so I spent most of the week making sure we processed as much product out of inventory as possible, and tried my best to double check any questionable issues.

See, when you move inventory in a system (like SAP) sometimes the physical movement doesn't correspond to what we say we did in SAP.  That means that there's a risk that material will end up in the wrong location...either our system believes it is there when it isn't, or it is physically there even though our system didn't expect it.  So about once a year we have to check every single part in the building.  Well, every single part that is in our inventory - since we're a returns center, we have a stream of 'to be processed' material from our customers that is not yet in inventory.  We don't actually have to break down and process those for this annual check.

Again, since we're a returns center, we're not supposed to have a lot of inventory on hand.  Most of it is received in and processed out right away. 

Anyways, I've been a little busy this week.  It went fairly well, which was good.  My first time in charge for one of these, too.  (I've been with this company for a couple of years now, but for all the previous ones I was at our distribution center where inventory checks are significantly different.  Plus with three different shifts and multiple departments you can't really pin down discrepencies to any one supervisor.  You can figure out which associate miscounted, overpicked or underpicked or put material to the wrong location incorrectly, sure.  Supervisors can discuss ways of creating a better system.  Re-training if needed, deciding to use internal employees instead of hiring contract labor, things like that...but it's different when you're the only supervisor for a small single shift.)

Then yesterday I took my Little (from Big Brothers, Big Sisters) to Stitches.  A knitting/crocheting expo in Schaumberg.  She seemed to like it, and we made a day of it in the Chicago/Schaumberg area.  Visited the Shedd Aquarium, had pizza at a restaurant she likes, etc.  We checked out the new public bikes that you can borrow to ride around the museum area.  Those might be worth using if we make another day trip.

So what with one thing and another, I haven't had the time to follow up on my current topic thread.  I'll remedy that today, at least a little bit.  Probably not everything though.

No comments:

Post a Comment