Saturday, September 5, 2026

Predictably Irrational - Thoughts

I'm reading a chapter exploring market norms vs social norms and it hit me-

People have described certain individuals as 'transactional'. Often with a negative connotation. (Trump is, ofc, the primary and most common example)...

And the reason for that, I think, is that it's obvious he's applying market norms even to things that normally are social norms.

Like marriage.

It also reminds me of stories I've heard about the 1% regarding things like splitting the check for dinner. 

I suspect that part of what we're seeing is a culture of market norms. One that is, frankly, horrifying to those of us who know the joys of social norms. Of friendship and community and connections that aren't all about 'what's in it for me?'.

Strictly a theory of course. Some days I think I'd like to win the lottery, just so I can mingle and rub elbows and sort of make a personal study on the different cultural norms.

For my own curiosity - I'm definitely not going to be writing up proper scientific studies or anything. I just feel like I'm guessing at why they do the (short sighted and foolish) things they do, and it's mostly by trying to read between the lines of various reports and things. Not really reliable. 

Seriously, though. Why do we consistently see the rich and powerful grow arrogant, out of touch, selfish, greedy, and controlling?

Is it truly inevitable? Human nature? The natural corruption that comes with power?

Enquiring minds want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment