Friday, October 7, 2022

Update

I keep thinking about Wonko from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, who basically decided the rest of the world was insane (after finding detailed directions on how to use toothpicks) and put it in an insane asylum (i.e. Basically everything outside the house he built is the asylum).

I'm not advocating giving up or doing nothing, I'll do what I can with what I have... It's just that the world is just nuts right now.

I don't really want to go into a detailed listing (Putin, Trump, regular signs that there are far too many people with more money than sense) but I suppose I'll talk, yet again, about covid.

I still check the numbers, and recently I've noticed a new trend... 

New cases are declining, but the death rate is plateueing 

In other words, we probably don't actually have a decline in cases (since death rates are generally a lagging indicator that correlates to cases fairly well... And I don't think covid has suddenly become more lethal).

What we have is a decline in reporting covid rates.

I'm also rather disappointed that, despite pushing for vaccinations, which I do credit the current administration for doing, multiple forces seem to have decided covid is over, and to minimize it. 

I don't know enough to say how or why that came about. I hear a lot of people blaming one thing or another, but there's not a lot of solid data. And, tbf, some of it may just be fatigue... 

Its been years, after all. 

But it does look like covid can lead to increased risk of strokes, clots, etc... Possibly weakened immune systems aiding the spread of all these other illnesses, and there really doesn't seem to be any herd immunity. Just more and more variants.

But I'm done trying to convince others to take it seriously... Many are just tired and feel like there's nothing they can do beyond getting vaxxed (if they believe it works) and maybe masking themselves.

Like... There really are lots of other things that could have been done? But the same forces blocking a lot of other things seemed to have blocked any serious discussion of that. They act like the choice is locking down forever or nothing.

So I'm just glad I am privileged enough to work from home, that I still haven't caught covid (unless I was asymptomatic), and I'll just keep on doing my own thing and let the rest of the world do theirs...

Its just... 

I've been thinking that there comes a point where maybe it doesn't matter anymore whether decisions are made out of maliciousness or incompetence. 

Or whether it's one small group of people (the powers-that-be) knowingly choosing or whether it's a system with responsibility so diffused that it's just a lot of people with misaligned incentives...

I don't know that it even matters any more,either is a scathing indictment of our entire system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment