Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Work Update

In other news, I'm starting a new job (same company, different team) next month and have been going through some of the training material.

Its interesting. I already knew our company provided billing services to telecom companies, but I'd been thinking about it mostly from the customer care, payment, and calculation of bills side of things... 

I hadn't actually looked at policy and charging functions before. 

I've been reading up on 5G, PCF, and today was looking at edge computing. Unfortunately most of what I find is either too simple or too technical, so not quite answering what I want it too. (not that it has to. I've still got more training videos to watch and my questions may be answered there, it's just that in one video the trainer talked about understanding 5G, so I decided to look around a little before proceeding. Since I change jobs next month anyway, I can indulge my curiosity).

Edge computing reminds me of the AWS training on cloud computing.... And it sounds like telecom and cloud service providers are growing more and more similar. AWS has edge locations, so I kind of understand the concept already...

But when thinking about it from a PCF perspective now I'm wondering about how they manage so many locations. I'm assuming there's a lot, since in 5G they seem even closer to the customer than cell towers, and probably multiple in each area serviced by a tower.

I'm kind of liking the training, and I hope that means good things about the team I'm moving to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment