Wednesday, July 27, 2022

If Only...

Saw this today, about how a Florida utility company blocked efforts to make solar panels more accessible - among other things, read the article if you want those details).

Sometimes I wonder how much it would cost to buy one of these power companies. I've heard before that they tend to be rather conservative and set in their ways, and it's a damn shame.

Seriously. They ought to be transitioning from power generation (which will probably be needed regardless) to managing the flow of energy in a grid.

By which I mean... Renewable energy (which may not be as clean as we think given what it takes to make solar panels etc, but I'd like to see expert analysis on the topic) still tends to be inconsistent. Solar panels only generate power during the day, wind mills need wind, etc. So you probably would still need power plants to help smooth out the peaks and valleys, as well as moving energy from generating sources to using sources...

So I suspect you can conceivably have a business plan focused on that.

On the grid, and getting power from a to b. (I've also heard some tantalizing ideas about how you can get also use the grid for internet traffic? Maybe? If I were a Bezos or Musk I'd probably look into that, but whatever).

Actually, realizing that cloud computing networks have similarities to telecom service providers makes me wonder if there's just something about networks like that that could be studied as a topic in general. 

Well, not like I've got the resources to really dig into that. Just seems irritating that the people who do are instead pulling crap like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment