Saturday, June 4, 2022

Husbandry

My aunt shared this post on Facebook, it's about a man who has helped track down and save rare and unique heirloom apple varieties. 

I thought it fit in rather well with my recent theme, considering how much time and effort he spends conserving these apple resources. 

And it also makes me think of larger socioeconomic trends. 

I can't say I think it was wrong for the commercial apple industry to push out so many smaller, more local varieties. The solutions to the problems of one era often become the source of problems in the next. 

By which I mean coming up with ways to grow and ship plentiful food is an accomplishment, and beats starvation.

Commercializing apples, especially varieties good for shipping, was not bad... It's just that I would hope it could be done without making all these other varieties extinct. I do feel a loss for the apple varieties and tastes we may never know. (plus given what happened with bananas, it seems risky. If you only have one type of fruit and it's vulnerable to some plant disease, you could lose not just one variety... But all the if it.) 

I also like how they described local practices - planting a couple of different varieties so you had ripe apples all through the fruiting season. It's not the kind of thing that would work for a commercial farm, I think... But perfect for a small family homestead.

There's a lot of pent up demand for homesteading I think. Well, some of that may just be daydreaming... Most of the people talking about it know it'd take more resources than they have. 

I've thought about it myself, but I know enough about farming to know that it's a lot of work... And crop profits can be unpredictable. I think I'd rather keep my current job... But I wouldn't mind providing some stability for others who want to homestead. 

Uh... Basically the dream isn't necessarily to homestead as a family. Though it's not necessarily not that, either. 

Its more like... Have some more self-sufficiency, sustainability, feel the joy of growing your own food, and share that with a few people you like being around.

Also a slower pace of life, more in tune with the seasons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment