Friday, December 4, 2020

Minor Thoughts and a Quick Post

I'm really enjoying this guy's posts.

I definitely have concerns that Congress is more concerned with pleasing their party leaders than they are with representing their constituents. Although I still really like the idea of mixed member proportional representation (or even ranked choice voting), pushing for those sorts of systemic changes will be an uphill battle, I think. You'd have to educate a lot of people in order to get the support you'd need. Beau's proposals here are much simpler and clearer - and if it makes it harder for congressional representatives, too bad. They should never have let it come to this in the first place.

One other side thought. Someone posted a thing about redoing the election, and I gave a tongue-in-cheek response to it, but it got me thinking...

My tongue-in-cheek response is 'make the changes @jennycohn1 has been advocating for to secure our elections, have them be auditable... And if the Republicans are willing to pay for it I'd be more than happy to prove all over again that Trump lost', but here's the thing.

Unfortunately, a large number of people have lost faith in the system. (I have very strong feelings about the how and why of that, and how people lacking in principles took advantage of low information voters, but that's neither here nor there)...

Maybe that's what it would take to restore that trust. Though you'd best believe I'd stick to the requirements I just listed. No redos just to give anyone a second chance at cheating. You put the countermeasures in place. Make it easy to audit, let states start counting mail in ballots earlier, ensure machines are secured and not connected to the internet (unless there's a legitimate reason for it, in which case it's documented), etc.

And since Biden won, and elections cost money, it's on Republicans requesting the redo to compensate the states for the costs. 

I know, it's not likely to happen... 

I wonder how much of that is for the same reasons Republicans didn't care about making our elections more secure after 2016? (congressional Republicans - local states have generally taken their role in securing the vote seriously. Hence the state officials on a panel at defcon)

Edited to add: oh, and if there's a redo, Trump is still out of office on the 20th. Since he didn't win and demanded a do over, we should follow the presidential line of succession. I think if the president and vice president are gone, it next goes to the speaker for the house? 

No comments:

Post a Comment