Saturday, October 17, 2020

Doomscrolling

The other day I thought about doing a long post based on something else that came from my discord group (east vs west cultural differences, and how your actions reflect on your family... Which actually gets my back up a bit?). 

Anyways, like some ideas which I don't feel like dragging my laptop out to type, I haven't written it yet. And might even forget about it. (if you're curious... I'm typing this from my phone. I don't like using my work computer for personal use, for obvious reasons, and when I'm done wfh for the day my pets generally need attention. Which is hard to give if I pull out the laptop. The phone is easy enough for some things, but sometimes I need an actual keyboard.)

I heard a term the other day - doomscrolling - and immediately recognized that this is what I've been doing. (okay, I didn't get an actual definition, but it seems very obvious).

I feel like we're reaching some sort of, Idk... Tipping point? Point of inflection? Something is going to happen, I just don't really know when or what. It's kind of hard not to obsessively scroll through social media, and I have to deliberately make myself stop sometimes. 

What am I looking for? It's tough to say for sure. But...

Coronavirus cases are kicking up again. There's various metrics and things I don't want to bore people with, but the Dakotas are beginning to run out of ICU beds. Idaho seems to be getting bad, too. I still keep an eye on Florida (their numbers can't be trusted) and a couple of other states, nothing really notable to say that you can't see if you look at the data yourself. 

The other thing to keep an eye on is Trump's health, and the health of all those around him. Staff members, government officials, members of congress. 

I'm not sure what to make of his covid illness. Yet again, we know we can't trust what they say... But despite numerous people speculating on the internet, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of fact. It seems highly unlikely that he caught it and recovered within the time periods they admitted to, and that he's got his doctors in on supporting his lies is just more of the typical rot we've seen with this administration. ( the CDC, National Weather Service, Walter Reed... Science is science and not supposed to be policized. I have heard the term that the 'fish rots from the head', I just never expected it to happen so fast.) 

What's crazy to me is that apparently some of his supporters really need to see him as superhuman? And there was a quote about 'God-tier genetics' that... I don't even have words for how ridiculously stupid they sound. 

They're... serious?!? They say this with a straight face? They believe that crap? 

Regardless, I have absolutely no idea what really happened, but he's apparently okay enough to be on the campaign trail (and encourage yet more spreading of the virus, given that it's highly likely someone in the crowd is infectious. Is this more of that asinine eugenics thing? Are they trying to spread it far and wide?) I know we hear about long term effects (like clotting, and strokes, and other things) that make me think he's not completely out of the woods, but that's about it. 

I miss the days when our duly elected leaders felt they owed the public the truth. You know, -'we the people', the ones they're supposed to be serving. 




No comments:

Post a Comment