Friday, September 28, 2018

School, Job Hunt, NCL, etc.

I kind of like how the material I've been studying is starting to come together.  One of my classes is covering the material for the Certified Ethical Hacker, which...well. I probably won't go for the cert, but I like knowing this stuff as a possible future defender. Anyways, the book only lightly touches on some topics because they expect you to know them already...

And I do. Some of it was covered in my CCNA classes (i.e. networking, the OSI model, ports, etc.) and some of it was covered in various other classes, but it's nice to feel like all those different topics are starting to form a more complete picture.

Oh, and my university had some recruiters from TEK Systems come earlier this week. I decided to drive the hour or so it took to be there. I'm not entirely sure when/whether I'll hear from them any time soon, but from what my professors say they seem to be a big deal.

I also decided to join my school's National Cyber League team. Seems like a nice way to build experience, and they take into account current experience so I probably won't be completely out of my league.

Other than that, it's just a matter of studying and doing homework. And beginning to put out feelers for the job hunt.

Did I already mention that I had to revamp my resume? None of my previous work experience directly ties into the jobs I'll be looking for, so I actually added a section for coursework. It seems weird to me, but I've had a couple of people look it over and they seem to think it's okay. The TEK Systems recruiters actually indicated I ought to expand a bit more (they said the 'one page' requirement doesn't really make sense in their industry, especially if you've got decades of experience, so I probably could have made mine longer. It wouldn't be computer science related, but bullet points on how much I contributed to the various organizations would still show that I'm a good hire. I hate that part, though... Meh. Stuff to work on for the next month or so.)

No comments:

Post a Comment