Friday, December 19, 2014

Sony Hack, North Korea

In more modern news, I finally started tuning in to the Sony hack.  When I first heard about it, it seemed like more of the same old, same old.  Some company gets hacked, private data is revealed, security is horrible, *yawn*.

Then I heard people mutter 'act of cyberwar', and 'North Korea'.  And there's been a lot of disgruntlement that a silly little dictator of a mostly irrelevant country could somehow stifle artistic freedom.

I never even heard of this movie until the hack, but now if I knew of a place that was showing it I would definitely go.  Just to stick it to whoever thought it was a good idea to go to such lengths over a silly little movie.

A LOT of people I know feel the same way.  It's freedom of speech and artistic license, and you shouldn't mess with it.

I posted this on facebook, but this is what I would like to see happen.  I would love it if someone 'leaked' the entire movie online.  I know a certain clip has already leaked, but the whole movie should be put out there as well.  I'm sure more people would watch it online than would ever have watched it if it had been released like normal.

Second, if movie theaters are unwilling to play it due to fear of litigation (which seems kind of cowardly, except I know some idiot would sue if they were injured while at a theater because of this...so I'm not sure I can blame them.  That's a discussion for another time.)

Right.  So if movie theaters are unwilling to play The Interview for security reasons, I think every military base should offer to play it at the theaters they have on base.  Just make sure everyone goes through the security at the gate, and be prepared for long lines and whatnot.

And if someone tries attacking a military facility over the movie, you will quite clearly have your act of war. 

No comments:

Post a Comment