Thursday, July 25, 2024

On Tech

This post is... More vehement than I would be, with examples not quite in my area of expertise, but captures a sentiment I feel. 

Actually, it reminds me of an old basketball movie - Hoosiers. 

Which was naturally a rather popular thing to show a bunch of high schoolers in Indiana. Anyways, the coach that took that small Indiana team to state champions made a big deal about focusing on the basics. 

Sure, it looks cool when you can do a fancy slam dunk and hang from the hoop. 

But how's your ability to pass the ball? To dribble? How well do you and your team mates know the plays? 

Can you trust that if defense is blocking you and you call a play, that you can pass the ball to the right person and that they'll be there, ready for it? 

Teamwork is not magic. 

All my military experience just emphasizes this, so let me say it again. 

Teamwork is not magic

It's practice, and working with each other and practice and trusting each other and practice.

Anyways, I'm so very glad I switched to tech after having a career elsewhere, because I would hate to have been thrown into this sort of environment without knowing that it's actually pretty awful, and not 'just the way things are.'

Not that it's been that bad for me personally, but then again (because of prior experience) I'm pretty decent at figuring things out despite it all.

I've actually been doing pretty well at fixing some problems lately, one almost by accident. 

That doesn't change the basic point. Because talent and decision making are teachable and traits that any decent organization would develop in their people. It's practically the heart of creating a leadership pipeline. 

And there are plenty of people who can be smart and talented if given the right support. (The more of which, the better, because no organization should rely on just a few geniuses.)

No comments:

Post a Comment