Saturday, April 6, 2024

Media and Trump

I saw a letter from the editor today, regarding the response to a column from Cleveland that made a splash recently, in my opinion because it was so refreshing to have a newspaper state the obvious about Trump.

I am pleased to note that there was, as to he author of the column stated, an 'overwhelming response'.

I also agree with his assessment that 'I have a couple or preliminary thoughts on why people shared this so widely, but I also realized early on that I’m not going to figure it out anytime soon.'

It seems to say something important,that a column like that drew so much attention. But what does it really mean?

I know my own reasons for liking it. It's been hard to follow the news lately because I'm frankly rather sickened by the Trump coverage. If they can't call a spade a spade, why should I care about their opinions on anything else? 

I don't know how they keep finding polls that claim Trump has a chance at the general election. I hesitate to say I know better, since I know polling can help us see past our own bubble and get at a better estimate of public opinion, and perhaps it's my own biases that make me think they're wrong.

But a response to the column like that makes me think that I'm right, and that there's something all those polls and pundits are missing. (Or deliberately pretending isn't there, if I want to listen to the more conspiracy minded side of me. How many rich fools keep stepping up to enable Trump, after all? Sometimes it really does seem like a bunch of immoral fools with more money than sense favor a guy who has proven himself a terrible leader and really think they can use their wealth to force that oathbreaking piece of shit back into power.)



No comments:

Post a Comment