Monday, July 31, 2023

Elaborating a Bit

I mentioned that the army had a clear path for officer development (command time, staff time, etc).

Despite my concerns about the inevitable waste of such a bureaucratic approach, I do give the army credit for having an actual leadership pipeline.

Same for enlisted soldiers, too.

It's not easy taking a bunch of 18 year olds and turning them into (in a few years) non-commissioned officers.

When I talk about 'wasted talent' it's partly because of what I saw there.

A progression pipeline acknowledges that it takes time and certain kinds of experiences to get the upper level skills a large organization needs... And it ensures effort is put into making sure people get that.

Now that I've worked in the civilian world, I can say that it's not something done as much there (though most companies do try to provide some sort of option for people to progress. It's just more likely to be paying for school or certifications)

And then some try to poach the ones who've gone through such a pipeline elsewhere, and then complain about a talent shortage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment