Monday, August 23, 2021

Afghanistan

For the most part, I haven't wanted to write anything further on Afghanistan. Like I said in my earlier post, it's been well over a decade since I was there.

However, there are things about the news coverage that bother me.

First, I know a little about what's required for that operation. I helped my division deploy to Iraq back in 2004, and there was a lot of work involved in coordinating that movement. Granted, Afghanistan is landlocked so there's no sea port or ships to coordinate, but flights are also quite complex, and this was when we had months to prepare, a decent time range to move everyone over, and SAMS graduates helping.

I'm sure the agreements we have with allies for refueling and layovers don't necessarily apply to refugee flights without coordination, either.

I can not even imagine what it'd be like to coordinate all that (plus what to do with them once they're out, and the food and housing and processing they'll need) in a frenzied rush, for civilians with no real chain of command to work with.

That's a large part of why I refrain from judging. Sure, it looks bad right now... And I hope everyone gets taken care of with a minimum of pain and suffering. But this is a major logistical operation, and I don't know enough to point fingers.

Which is part of why I find our news coverage so disturbing.

Sure, logistics is boring... And the media wants to make money, so ofc they like drama.

But the ferocity with which they launched a 'Biden screwed everything up' seems a bit sus.

I'll probably post something later, trying to puzzle out what's bothering me... For now I have work to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment