Friday, May 17, 2019

The Shirley Exception

I can't say I'd ever thought of it this way, though it might explain some of that cognitive dissonance we all see:

https://seananmcguire.tumblr.com/post/184936216500

I did want to add something, though. Because the big driver towards the support described in the link was worry about people taking advantage...

I'm game theory, you might say it's "fear of being a sucker".

Given what I'd learned about social dilemmas, game theory, and suckers, I came to a conclusion 20 years ago:

I'd rather risk being a sucker than be a part of the problem.

That is, if cooperation benefits all of us, I'd rather risk appearing naive or foolish in pursuing that than be the cynical type of person who (believing it impossible) perpetuates the worst solution.

Though I'd probably want to know there's a realistic plan in place to make it work.

Anyways, it's given me an interesting take on certain things - like food stamps and the like.

The benefit to those who use it exactly as intended, and society at large - and last I knew, the majority do - makes it worth keeping even if some people abuse the privilege.

Why be afraid that some people will take advantage?

Have systems in place to try and prevent (or catch) it sure. But if you've got something that saves numerous people from starvation, helps children grow strong and healthy (and maybe, just a little, do better at school), why throw that away just because 2% - or maybe even 5% - abuse the system?

No comments:

Post a Comment