Saturday, July 15, 2017

"Real man" vs "Good man"

I'm sharing this because I really liked the distinction between being a "real man" and being a "good man".

When I think of the men in my family - fathers, uncles, brothers - and friends who enjoy the benefits of fatherhood and family, who I've never questioned as to whether they were a "real man", and I sometimes wonder how we got this limiting notion that a "real man" is all about screwing lots of women and one-up ping everyone.

I know some of it is just America, too.  Consider how weird we find it that men in the middle east often hold hands. Like that picture of President Bush holding hands with the Saudi king.

What really sucks is I find it hard to believe that these so-called "real men" (who seem so weak and fragile compared to the men I know.  Like showing affection somehow threatens your masculinity?!?  You must not be very confident about that, if so) are truly happier with such a one-dimensional, rigid, narrow role that cuts them off from any real connection. 

https://hbr.org/2017/07/why-sexual-harassment-is-more-of-a-problem-in-venture-capital?utm_campaign=hbr&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

No comments:

Post a Comment