Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Class Update

I find figuring out how to make a program work kind of - satisfying.  It's a bit like solving a sudoku puzzle.

I spent most of yesterday asking my computer "WHY WON'T YOU WORK?!?!?"

But I figured it out today, solved the puzzle, and have happily submitted my last homework assignment for this semester's computer programming class.

The issue?  Hmmm.  In a non-technical way it's like this:

Let's say you write a word down on a card.  If you hand me the card directly, I know what the word is.

But let's say you put it in a PO Box and give me the number to that PO Box.  Then I don't know the word until I go looking in that PO Box.

So if I'm writing a program to translate English into Klingon (and how cool is that, for a homework assignment?) I can't just look up the English word, find the corresponding Klingon word and show the result.

The main problem was that I wasn't finding the word, so much as the PO Box number storing the word, and it was screwing up my results.

It's as though I wanted to know whether the word in that PO Box was "yellow", so I asked it to compare the PO Box number to "yellow", and of course a PO Box isn't going to match.


No comments:

Post a Comment