Sunday, November 20, 2016

Update

I've been on vacation for the past week, and finally made it home.  I visited with an old friend in Michigan, then drove to my Dad's place in Indiana.  We celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday (early), and I think it worked out fairly well. 

See,  Mom passed away six years ago and Dad has since remarried.  While our new step-mom is cool and all, Dad now has obligations to her side of the family that never existed before.  All of the children are still sort of feeling their way into what sort of relationships we're going to have with our newfound siblings.  Who the heck gets two step-brothers and three step-sisters when they're over 30!?!

Last year was a little odd, in that Dad celebrated Thanksgiving elsewhere, so my brothers and I had Thanksgiving (at Dad's house) on our own.  It didn't seem quite right.  This year, well...with work schedules and my vacation it just made sense to celebrate early.  I got to see three of my four brothers, plus a sister-in-law (and my Dad, step-mom, and a nephew from her side of the family).  I believe Dad did invite my new brothers and sisters as well, though they weren't able to do so this time. 

Of course, since we celebrated Thanksgiving early it means I can make other arrangements for the actual day.  I think I'll join my step-mom's family. 

Going to that sort of thing is part of how you transform strangers into family, you know?  It's slow and sometimes awkward, but in the end I think it's rather rewarding.

I have, of course, been paying close attention to the transition team and Trump's potential cabinet picks.  It's a bit like an itch that I just can't stop scratching.  I'm mostly lurking.  Listening, reading, still forming my own opinions on things.

No comments:

Post a Comment