Saturday, February 21, 2015

General update

I finally finished The Prize, and I'm letting the thoughts percolate a bit.   I'm also reading a new book Destiny Disrupted.  It makes for an odd counterpoint, but I think it's kind of interesting to read them in conjunction.   It shows the drastically different world views of the realpolitik and grand strategy tied up with oil,  vs.  the feelings and history affecting the analysis of some of our greatest threats to energy (and Western society)  today.

But I'll leave it at that.   In other news, I'm very pleased with a roast I just finished cooking today.   See, cold weather makes me want to turn on the oven and bake...but I really don't need more sweets.   (I've already got a cherry chocolate dump cake, and decided to make some pumpkin yeast bread that also turned out pretty yummy.   I decided rather than creating a cinnamon sugar swirl I would mix up some cream cheese, Nutella, cocoa, and a little bit of powdered sugar.   Rolled out the dough, spread the filling, rolled it back up and put in a bread pan.   I stuck half in a freezer, because again... I don't actually need that much for me.   I may have to take some in to work.)

Anyways.   I marinated the beef in an orange juice, garlic, worcestershire, honey, apple cider, orange peel, beef stock, salt etc. mix overnight.   Browned the meat,  precooked the potatoes, onion and mushrooms.   Simmered down the marinade, and threw it all in a pan with a bay leaf. Baked at 325 for about 3 hours and it turned out pretty darn tasty.

And my house is toasty, and smelling like good food.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment