Sunday, May 23, 2021

Population Concerns in the News

This Twitter thread highlights the problem I have with all the 'we're not reproducing fast enough' articles I see in the news.

They really fail to see the connection here.

Like, sure.. I'll try to help out with your population concerns. How about making sure I can afford a kid? And take care of all these crappy issues people with power and money are preventing movement on?

You don't see how that's all related?

Maybe show we actually live in a society, and not just some sort of system for accruing wealth to the already wealthy instead of enabling a terrible system and then whining about how nobody wants to perpetuate it.

Edited to add: also, our demographics have been like this for a while, and the only reason we aren't facing an aging crisis like some other countries is immigration.

There are plenty of people in the world, the only reason this is a concern in the US is because of our immigration problems... And underneath that, I'm not sure for how many 'concerned' people pushing these stories, but I'm sure there's at least a few, is racism. 

These articles freaking out about people not reproducing are really more about white people not reproducing. It's Tucker Carlson's shitty replacement theory. 

Which is also a pretty crappy reason for having a kid.

So I don't know who keeps trying to make these stories 'news', but it's not. And I wish they'd fix themselves rather than waste our time on their foolishness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment