Saturday, March 20, 2021

Reading Musings

Funny how I've never heard of Lincoln Electric.

I suppose it's not that unusual, I don't have much of a need for electric arc-welding.

Anyways, this quote - "I knew that if I could get the people of the company to want to succeed as badly as I did, there would be no problem we could not solve together" fits rather nicely with a pithier saying I learned in the army - "If you take care of your people, they'll take care of you."

I don't really see the need for conflict between workers and management. Workers need the company to succeed (or jobs get cut, downsizing occurs, and they'll be out of a job) and managers need workers to do pretty much anything. 

I may go into more detail on that some other time, since I wanted to focus less on that and more on... Well. 

The importance of quality in your workers. The problem with an autocratic, dictatorial, micromanaging style is... 

Okay. There's actually a LOT of problems with it. It squelches initiative. Makes it hard to respond to changes (unless the autocrat sees the need, and if they've surrounded themselves with yes-men and yes-women and created an isolating bubble they might not notice in time). It can be hard for good ideas to reach people with the vision and power to make it happen. 

If I think longer on the topic I'm sure I can come up with even more but again - not really the point. Plus I have a bit of a time crunch and don't want to get sucked into blogging right now. 

The main point is this - motivated and enthusiastic people who trust their managers do a better job. Their quality of work is higher and they do hard to measure things (like bringing up something they've noticed as a problem, even if it's 'outside their pay grade' or 'not their job'). 

If you take care of your people (ie ensure good working conditions, livable wages, and management that treats them as more than just expenses to be reduced to the lowest cost possible) they will make sure your business succeeds. 

Barring a technology change making your business obsolete ofc, though even then a good team might come up with an alternative field to get into. 

Really, it annoys me no end that the people with power and influence are so frigging short sighted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment