Thursday, May 12, 2016

What Threatens America - Internal Cleavages, II

Okay, okay.  Today I want to talk about Trump.  Or to be more accurate, what Trump's candidacy represents.

I have to admit that when I (reluctantly) talk about Trump I normally talk about what I actually understand.  Namely, the appeal he has for people who feel left out and ignored.  The people who feel they've lost their job to China or Mexico.

But one of the first positive responses to Trump I heard was from someone thrilled to hear a public figure say whatever he really thought.  For some, Trump's lack of political correctness is a huge part of his appeal.

I feel like this is a tricky one to address, because you either sound like you're a racist (i.e. I should be able to say what I like even if it's really hurtful to someone else, and I don't care that it bothers you so there) or you sound like a nagging parent (i.e. why can't you respect other people?)  That, or you're an apologist for racists...excusing the hurt their words and attitudes can do to people who've been hurt often enough already.  Or, on the flip side, you're an intolerant hypocrite who tries to make everyone conform to your views.

I could go on and on, but I think you know all the stereotypes.  All the ways we portray the side we don't agree with.  There's even cute little facebook memes that capture a viewpoint in one neat little picture  (I have a much harder time finding the liberal memes on political correctness, btw)

And the very difficulty we have talking about this is a sign of what a huge problem it is.  It means we are not have a national discussion, we practically can't talk about it.  Not in a caring and empathic way, one that doesn't outright dismiss the other side. 

This was something I noticed when our company had their Culture of Inclusion summit.  We spend a day and a half there, some clearly annoyed at being forced to attend, and only touched on the attendees real thoughts at the tail end when someone anonymously asked a question. 

The Starbucks attempt to start conversations about race was a disaster.  Unequivocally a failure.

And in this day and age, where we see anonymous hate and internet trolls that aren't always doing it for the lols, I think it's safe to say that we have a public consensus and some pretty powerful private dissent.  (For good or bad.  I'm trying my best not to condemn any one side right now, as this post isn't about saying who is wrong or who is right.  I'll leave that for another time.)





No comments:

Post a Comment