Monday, January 25, 2016

One Tiny Grain of Sand Sliding Down

The military taught me a certain kind of ettiquette:

- Don't criticize if you can't offer a better solution.
- No excuse, sir.
- I don't know, but I will find out.

For the most part, I get it.  As a people leader myself I get tired of complaints and criticism that doesn't really help.  Yet trying to abide by those rules makes things difficult...

Because I just don't want to sound like just another whiner.  Complainer.  Or an armchair quarterback telling everyone else what 'ought' to be done, when I'm not making it happen myself.

There's so much going on in the world today.  So much that I find disturbing, and horrifying.  I ask myself when things changed, why it didn't seem like this when I was younger.  Or maybe it's always been like this and I just didn't know. 

I think that last one is the most likely, particularly when I consider the age of songs like "We Didn't Start the Fire", or "It's the End of the World as We Know It".

So yes, things are pretty awful out there.  I've got my own ideas on what we can do about it, of course,  But so does everyone else.  I think mine are better, naturally, but why would anyone support my ideas over anyone else's?!?

Which is the critical part, I think.  Not coming up with ideas, not executing them.  But getting enough supporters to actually make a difference.  (And not just supporters, in terms of people.  I have to make a living somehow.  Like everyone else, I'd love to combine my own natural interests with a career.  But I don't want to get into that, right now.)

Anyways.  What's frustrating is I don't feel like it matters how many times we share a link on Facebook, for example.  Or hit 'Like' on an article. 

Or it does, but only to a small degree.  One more grain of sand sliding down a sand dune that's already in movement.


No comments:

Post a Comment